Thursday 6 October 2016

When I used to stand in-between a graveyard and a library

For National Poetry Day, I've written a new piece.
I wrote it quickly and it was enjoyable to put down.
This is something more clearly autobiographical than a lot of the Greville and the Tombstones tracks. I might well return to this style again.

But don't panic. However stripped back, it still is Greville and the Tombstones and if it came with a tune, it would be played on by an accordion.




When I used to stand in-between a graveyard and a library:

I remember standing, recalling latest songs in my head
From Thursday TV shows,
Re-running action from 24bit games,
Freeze framing a girl I noticed in the library earlier,
when I held a book with a fuchsia cover.
Always in blank winter light, my breath would cloud in the thin shelter.
I stood with barely more than one thing to be.
In my shapeless, black fleece jacket, I’d kick Doc Martens' scuffs at the pavement.
Fingers blushed from the concrete air.
The weight of my hair drawn in a swoop over my right eye as I invented
fantastic proposals I would definitely turn down.
Others were creating beauty so I didn’t need to bother.
My shapeless, black fleece turned feathers.
I figured I would tend the graveyard in the harshest conditions,
knowing that others wouldn’t be able to make it on such days.
Though they would often want to.



No comments:

Post a Comment