Thursday 27 September 2012

Shiny, Happy Gothic alt-Country?

Friend of the band (real friend, non-existent band) Jaffne, has pointed out my sweet lyrics are a little down beat.

And, I suppose, given this is just a little hobby of mine in this virtual shed of a blog - they are a bit.

But then it is an gothic alt-country band that I am joking about being in, and this genre is not exactly known for it's glass half full sort of vibe. I mean look at the band name: Greville and the Tombstones: Well, it's hardly Fun Boy Three.

Apparently my suggestion of simply imagining some Euro disco beats to read the lyrics to, wasn't going to cut it.

Jaffne suggested I should look to incorporate some lovely, happy things in a song.

"Insane unicorns, rainbows, glitter!" Jaffne happily listed.

Jeezus! Insane unicorns! Now that is depressing.
A decrepit herd of unicorns with mental issues in a cramped paddock? One of them walking constantly in tight circles? Another, hobbled and lost of all sense of balance unable to stand from out its own filth? While another sits still, staring inward to dark places where hope cannot escape, horn blunted with a cork on the tip in case it self-harms?
Well, that has to be the worst idea for a child's petting zoo I have ever heard of.

Yeah, I could probably do a song about that no trouble. It would be pretty bleak though and I am not sure we are getting anywhere with that.

But... Unicorns losing their minds because of snorting glitter in order to surf rainbow waves?

Now this sounds just chipper.

Something is still missing. An element to the song to give it a light touch. Give it some sparkle. It is clear to me. I need to find me a woman for the band.

So it is fortunate I have a volunteer! But that is for another blog...




No comments:

Post a Comment