Tuesday 2 October 2012

Musicantresses Pt. 1

I refer to this little blog site as my hobby-blogster band shed at the end of the internet path from my main home blog. It's a long reference, but what can you do? And this entry is pure shed. The equivelent of putting posters up on it's wooden insides.

As I work on a more lighthearted song possibly referencing mentally ill unicorns, I thought I could look at some of the female musicans who I enjoy listening to. There is something about a girl who can play and knows her music which is both fabulous and effortlessly cool.

Louise from Sleeper. Lord knows I thought she was ace. She had eyes like citric pools and when I listen to Nice Guy Eddie even now, when Louise sings "Parma-shan" I get this weird tingle at the bottom of my spine.

Anyway, here is Sleeper on TOPTP... TPTOTS... whatever it wanted to be called in the 90's. You might want to sit down in case you find Hale and Pace too funny at the beginning. And at the end.





Aimee Mann is great. My heart has always lain a little with Americana and she was the first female artist I connected with through it.





Diane Birch was someone I heard on the local radio and her voice is awesome. As is this video for one of her more up tempo songs:





I also enjoy a little country (winky smiley face emoticon) and Miranda Lambert does contemporary country pretty well:





As does the terrific Mindy Smtih:





Amy LaVere is more tradtional. I saw her live and she was really good. And plays a double bass.





Talking of bass players, the bass player for Beth Walthew is a friend of mine. This counts in the list 'cause Beth is a girl.





Of course, this summer I met the incomparable and outright coolest person I have ever had a piece of shortbread in the shape of an elephant with. She Makes War's live perfomances are mesmeric.




And that concludes the pinning up of some posters on my virtual shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment