Wednesday 31 October 2012

The Fun Halloween Song

Remember when East 17 did a Christmas themed single? Remember - they had bells put on the mix? Remember - they dressed in snow jackets in a studio? Remember - they added computer snow FX to the film? Remember - TMF aired it as a "Christmas Anthem"? Remember?

It suddenly struck me that if I had a Gothic alt-band then it would not do a Christmas song. No chance.
Halloween however...

I would imagine the Halloween song would be slightly underwritten - populist (allowing the fans to sing along), basically a B-side elevated by virtue of making it vaguely connected to an annual festivity. We would add the sound of creaking doors to the mix after. It would probably be called something quite obvious to tie it in with the day.

It would probably go something like this -

The Fun Halloween Song
(sung by She Scoops Out Owls For Hats)


The October leaves hang sombre from chilled trees,
Walking in pallid green I am barely seen, in the graveyard at Halloween.
 
Among sounds of crows,
Under dark throws,
I lay at my lover’s side,
A single black rose.
 
When you think me all lonesome, I am not on my own some, I’m in the arms of my darling’s tombstone
 
Sam De Vere lies here, died in the Lord’s immemorial year
As shadows do thicken Born 1807, soul released now to Heaven.
 
All my love I do save,
For this sallow grave,
Marked by the stone
These words are engraved
 
When you think me all lonesome, I am not on my own some, I’m in the arms of my darling’s tombstone
 
Some might think it a bit creepy, somewhat a touch freaky
Huddled in a charred hue graveyard, lain beside dirt so stone hard.
 
To love my Sam De Vere,
who lies under here,
Who died in the winter
Of a previous lord’s year
 
When you think me all lonesome, I am not on my own some, I’m in the arms of my darling’s tombstone
 
Abbey bell’s lurch and they clank, high in the bell tower dank
It disturbs the birds flying out their roost yet still remain I seduced
 
At Sam De Vere’s grave side,
I will always abide,
Who else could want
This everlasting bride?
 
When you think me all lonesome, I am not on my own some, I’m in the arms of my darling’s tombstone
 
Mist shroud vapours swirl and cling, to all deadened things
And if a mad doctor was to revive my love alive, back from the year 1835?
 
Would they be flesh or bone?
Sins still to atone?
Eyes to look upon
This weathered tombstone?
 
When you think me all lonesome, I am not on my own some, I’m in the arms of my darling’s tombstone
 
Demons jig on saws fiddle, branches bend in the middle
Witches cast toadstools in hollow pools, but I know them all to be fools
 
Love’s spell is so strong,
It cannot be wrong
Over death and time
Sam to you I belong
 
When you think me all lonesome, I am not on my own some, I’m in the arms of my darling’s tombstone
 
Do not weigh with concern or worry, I am in no such hurry
I am at peace being here, this scene is much happier than it may appear
 
The sun will make itself shown
And daisies will be grown
All in the graveyard
Of my darling’s tombstone



I would also imagine the video would be me and the Tombstones wearing 3/4 length tweed jackets for protection from the dark autumn air. Computer FX falling leaves would be added later.


No comments:

Post a Comment